Thursday, August 18, 2005

Love, Sleep, Death, an interview with Maximilian Hecker

Maximilian Hecker seems not to belong to our world. A little like a Ingmar Bergman film, there is an invisible border between his environments and ours. A bracket out of time. The collision between its universe and ours was not easy. The room where we discussed was parasitized by goes and come and by the taps which flee. Each interruption causing a difficult and long reconditioning which is finished fortunately by the heart of what animates Maximilian Hecker in his relation to the music. A total abandonment with another reality.

The birth of Lady Sleep
Rose , its preceding album was a difficult passage for Maximilian Hecker. He applied to himself a pressure and came from to an introspection which, with the passing days, disturbed him. The opposite was carried out with Lady Sleep .
" I had a particular pressure for Rose. I wanted that it to be successful. But the principal difficulty came from the singing process. It is the hardest part of the music. With Lady Sleep it was easier. I was better prepared and I knew which problems I was going to have to face. I felt better to do it, it was even easier to sing. I was just more trustful and I knew what I had to do . "


"I am not a songwriter"
Lady Sleep seems to be the work of a traditional pianist who, having rediscovered his compositions decided to put words on his music. Moreover for Maximilian Hecker the words are additional in the composition.
" I am more a musician than a poet. I need to sing something so I write words. I am often categorized as a songwriter but it is not the case. What is a songwriter? Everyone is a songwriter even people who play electro music. It is always the same misunderstanding. All that because I am called Maximilian Hecker. If the name on the small pocket was not Maximilian Hecker but The Heckers no one would think about me as a singer-songwriter. My sound is not like Nick Drake’s. Im am no a songwriter ».

Escape to the purity
Maximilian Hecker expresses with Lady Sleep his desire to reach a state of purity, removed from any reality, in a search without end.
" Art is a mean of creating a better world, purer, which delivers a happiness that you cannot obtain in reality. For some people it is like a religion. Each one seeks a particular state, a kind of st in utero state where the constraints of the body are not felt yet. This state is found when something is intensely wished. But we quickly realize that it is not the exact thing which we want, which we seek. At the time when I believe to love a girl for example, it is not really love, because when I am finally with her, I am not any more in this same state. There is always this need to reach it. It is similar with everyday things, we believe that when we have the object of our desire all is perfect. Then we realized that it is not a quesion of object. It is a state that you find only that when you die. Lady Sleep is in fact a personification of sleep, a state close to death. In the song which has its name, I have an intercourse with her. This intercourse finishes at the morning but I want it to remain forever . "

Maximilian Hecker with this album strips us from our carnal envelope, makes us leave the contingency. As with Sleep Lady , the adventure finishes, at the end of the album. Unless we press Play again.

www.maximilian-hecker.com

Pour la version française: http://www.benzinemag.net/musique/itv_hecker.htm